Clinical epidemiology research is based on nationwide databases
- (RCPH) has extensive experience in registry-based research. Registry-based research may be designed to increase the knowledge on the causes, the prevention, and the optimization of quality in the treatment and care of diseases.
- In Denmark exceptional conditions exist for registry-based clinical epidemiological research due to:
- access to high-quality patient registries and demographic databases with a broad range of social, biological and health data
- a growing number of clinical databases gathering data on patient courses within major chronic diseases
- the ability to link data at the individual level by use of the Danish identification number given to every individual at birth or immigration since 1968
- using these data sources, the main focus of the clinical research at the RCPH is to study the impact of health services and patient factors on the course of diseases