Each year, Danish patients answer questions about their experience with the hospitals. The survey is called the National Danish Survey of Patient Experiences (LUP).
Nine out of ten patients had a good impression
In the Capital Region of Denmark the impression given was even better than last year. More than nine out of ten patients had a good overall impression of their hospitalisation or visit to an out-patients clinic.
We want even higher satisfaction
"The Capital Region of Denmark can definitely be proud that more than nine out of ten patients are satisfied with the service we provide. In particular, I am pleased that we have improved in several areas compared with last year.
This shows that employees have listened to patients and have focused on improving things. However, we can be even better, and the Regional Council has recently laid down four key headlines for work in the coming years, of which one is to ensure that the patient's situation steers the course of treatment. Targeted efforts of this nature should lead to even higher patient satisfaction," said Hjalte Aaberg, Regional Chief Executive.
Staff show understanding for patients' needs
Compared with last year, the survey shows that patients are more satisfied in a number of areas. Among other things, patients experience that nurses have better time for them and that they are able to speak confidentially and comfortably with the staff who also show greater understanding for patients' needs.
92% satisfied with delivery experience
Progress in pregnancy and births
In 2012, womens' experience in connection with pre-natal and post-natal care, as well as delivery was also part of the LUP survey.
By far the majority of women respondents in the Capital Region of Denmark still have positive experiences with hospitals with regard to pre-natal and post-natal care as well as delivery. This year, 92% of women have assessed their overall delivery experience to be positive.
Women are particularly satisfied with the support given by their midwife during delivery and the subsequent counselling provided by the nurse.
Satisfied psychiatric patients
Also nine out of ten psychiatric patients are satisfied
Patients who have undergone treatment or been into contact with the Capital Region of Denmark - Psychiatry were asked about their experiences. The general impression is the same; nine out of ten adult patients are satisfied, and the development is generally positive compared with the previous year.
Progress among group of adult, out-patients
The survey shows that among the largest patient group, the group of adult out-patients, more than two-thirds of the responses were positive.
Still room for improvement
Even though patients in the Capital Region of Denmark are generally very satisfied, there is still room for improvement. The LUP survey shows for instance that about one-third of patients who experience errors have not been satisfied with the staffs' way of handling the error, whilst slightly less than one-fourth of the patients admitted did not believe that they had received sufficient information material.
"The survey shows us that there are still areas where we can improve. We want to learn from the best and therefore we will be holding an inspirational seminar about good patient experiences, where departments with particularly good results can share their experiences," said Hjalte Aaberg
Facts about the National Danish Survey of Patient Experiences in 2013:
- The report "Patients Experiences in the Capital Region of Denmark 2013" is the regional part of the National Danish Survey of Patient Experiences (LUP) 2013.
- In the Capital Region of Denmark, just under 35,000 somatic patients who have been admitted or receive out-patient treatment assessed their experiences in the health services based on about 40 different parametres.
- More than 2,000 women have also answered a questionnaire about their experiences in connection with pre-natal and post-natal care, as well as delivery, and just under 3,000 patients and relatives have answered a questionnaire about their experiences with the Capital Region of Denmark - Psychiatry.
- The report was prepared by the Center for Patient Experience and Evaluation.
- The Capital Region of Denmark has gathered a number of cases from departments which have initiated specific and different efforts to improve patients' experiences. Contact Public Relations if you are interested in case stories.
- The Capital Region of Denmark held an inspirational seminar about good patient experiences on 30April.
For more information please contact:
- Hjalte Aaberg through Public Relations in the Capital Region of Denmark, +45 70 20 95 88
- Marie Fuglsand, Center for Patient Experience and Evaluation, +45 20 35 39 25